The Laboratory of Molecular Science and Engineering consists of five major disciplines in chemistry and chemical engineering: Analytical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, and Polymer Technology. We educate masters and doctors with versatile knowledge in chemical phenomena within fundamental molecular chemistry and chemistry in industrial processes.
Our research areas include developing chemical sensors, nanomaterials for energy technology, synthesis of drugs, development of medical materials and flame retardants, and chemistry in combustion processes. The research in these five main areas has several competencies:
- chemical sensor systems for on-line process analysis, in-situ environmental monitoring and clinical diagnostics
- wearable electrochemical sensors and biosensors for personal health monitoring
- advanced functional materials for applications in electrochemical sensors, batteries and supercapacitors
- new receptor molecules and signal transduction principles for ion-selective electrodes
- theoretical modelling of membrane potentials
- colloidal materials and dispersions, surface phenomena and interfacial forces as well as computational chemistry
- design and processing of materials: biocompatible and hierarchical materials, self-healing systems, solar cells and sensor platforms for food, pharma and environmental applications
- chemical phenomena in high-temperature processes, especially in biomass combustion
- computational fluid dynamics modelling and thermodynamic modelling of inorganic high-temperature processes
- properties of bioactive glasses and ceramics for controlled tissue interactions in medical devices
- refining of inorganic metals from side streams and waste materials
- sustainable chemical and catalytic technologies for small molecule synthesis
- new functional molecules and materials derived from carbohydrates, wood extractives, hemicelluloses and lignin
- Catalyst development, synthesis of functional monomers, innovative plastic additives, tailor-made polymeric materials and polymer characterization.
- Current Focus: Design of green flame retardants, barrier films and wood coatings, adhesives, plastic electronics, biopolymers and scaffolds for tissue engineering, polymer recycling.
- Instrumentation: NMR, TGA/FTIR, DSC, SEC, DMTA, cone calorimeter, LOI and UL94. Complete reactor systems for addition (emulsion, suspension and slurry) and condensation polymerizations.
Åbo Akademi University
Laboratory of Molecular Sciences and Engineering
Faculty of Science and Engineering (FNT)