Looking for something specific? Use our search engine!

FAQ for exchange students

FAQ for exchange students

How can I get in touch with my tutor? Will my tutor pick up my key and meet me at the airport?

All exchange students who requested for a tutor in their application will be assigned one. The tutor will contact you several weeks before your arrival to Finland. You may then arrange for pick-up of keys and meeting in Åbo or Vasa. Note that TYS has introduced a key pick-up locker where you can collect your key outside the office’s opening hours. More information on picking up the key to your student apartment can be found here: Before the exchange.

I have an exam and I will miss the orientation week. Will this be a problem?

You must plan to arrive so that you can take part in the compulsory orientation week. Information about studying and course registration will take place during the week, and it is very important that you do not miss out on this. Please note that it may be possible to have your examinations sent to Education services or International affairs. We can arrange a room and supervision for you if we know about the exam beforehand.

When should I expect to receive a housing offer?

TYS usually sends its housing offers around 2-4 weeks before arrival, whereas Lärkan in Vasa about 4 weeks before arrival.

How do I pay the Student Union fee?

The fee can be paid for the academic year or per semester; it should be paid prior to the registration at the University. Please print or take a screenshot of the receipt. The payment information will be provided to you before your arrival to Finland. Further information on the Student Union fee can be found here.

How can I order the Student Card?

You can activate your electronic student card after you have paid the Student Union Fee and after you have been registered as attending at the University. You can activate the student card at frank.fi/en/. You can also order a plastic student card for an extra fee. Note that sometimes it takes a day after registration to be able to activate the electronic student card.

I would like to rent a starting package. What should I do in order to receive it?

You may pick up your starting package yourself upon arrival to Finland. Note that only members of the Student Union of Åbo Akademi may rent the starting package.

Those staying in an TYS apartment should visit this website for payment details and opening hours of the Starting Package storage. Exchange students in Vasa should visit the website of the Student Union for more information. Further information on renting a starting package can also be found at: Before the exchange.

Are there sports activities offered for exchange students?

CampusSport offers sport activities for students in Åbo and ÅAU Sports for students in Vasa. Please also see: Sporting activities at ÅAU.

Where can I find the lunch menus of the student restaurants?

The lunch menus of Kårkaféerna can be found here. Note that in order for you to get the student lunch prices, you need to show a valid student card at the cashier. The lunch menus for students in Vasa, can be found here.

How do I obtain a Finnish personal identity code?

Those students who have a residence permit should already have a Finnish ID number stated on the residence permit card.

The personal identity code can be obtained by filling in the online application form, after filling in the application, you need to visit the Digital and population data services (DVV). In both Åbo and Vasa, specific dates are booked for our exchange students to visit the offices of DVV. If you cannot visit DVV during these days, you need to book an appointment and visit them by yourself. Additional information can be found here.

Note that you can only apply for a Finnish ID number after you have registered at ÅAU as an attending exchange student, and received your Letter of Attendance from us. After receiving the personal identity code, please send the decision scanned by e-mail to exchange@abo.fi from your abo.fi-e-mail or present the decision at the student service desk so that we can enter the information in the study register.

Updated 1.9.2023