The official language of instruction at Åbo Akademi University is Swedish. Exchange students can either study in Swedish or complete a full year of studies in English by choosing among a wide variety of courses offered in English (approximately 250 annually).
Instructions for making a study plan
Course information is always subject to change; therefore, it is important that students have alternatives for flexibility.
- To read course descriptions, visit the study guide and search for your courses. The course database is updated annually on 1 August.
- Period 1 and 2 are in the Autumn, 3 and 4 in the Spring. When a course is offered period 1, 2, 3, 4, it usually implies that the course is a self-study course that can be taken anytime.
- Students are welcome to mix courses from different faculties. Combining courses from both campuses (Åbo and Vasa) is not possible, due to the distance.
- Erasmus+ students are to remember within what agreement they are applying, and to choose courses accordingly.
- Students that are proficient in Swedish can see the regular curriculum (updated annually on 1 August).
- Students will receive feedback on their study plan during the summer, and are encouraged to read their e-mail often as we expect answers within a few days.
- A full-time course load for one semester is 30 credits, for an academic year 60 credits. The home institution must approve the study plan (signed appropriately).
- Incoming students are welcome to use the study plan/learning agreement form of Åbo Akademi University, or use the home university’s equivalent form. Erasmus+ students should use their home universities’ own Erasmus+ learning agreement.