If you want to be an exchange student at Åbo Akademi University, you must contact your home university in order to be nominated for the exchange period. The nomination is based on exchange agreements (can be limited to specific subject areas and a specific campus), or a student exchange programme. Please note that we don’t accept free movers.
Once you have been nominated, you will receive an e-mail from Åbo Akademi University with a link to the online application for exchange students. The online application form will be available in late March/September.
Nomination deadline for partner universities
For studies in autumn (August-December), or full year (August-May): 15 April at 16.00 CET+1
The nomination e-mail must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the nomination deadline. Åbo Akademi University accepts exchange students on both campuses: Åbo (Turku) and Vasa (Vaasa).
Please note that the e-mail address of the student, provided in the nomination by the home university coordinator, is the one that will be connected to the online application. Thus, the acceptance letter will also be sent electronically to this same e-mail address.
Complete the application online
Application deadline for exchange students
For studies in autumn/Semester 1 (August-December) or Full year (August-May): 30 April at 16.00 CET+1
For studies in spring/Semester 2 (January-May): 15 October at 16.00 CET+1
Upload the required documents in English as PDFs:
1. A Learning agreement/study plan: Use the course information of the current academic year. The course information for the next academic year will be available no later than 1 August. Plan a full time course load, 30 credits for one semester, 60 credits for an academic year. The study plan must be approved and signed appropriately by your home institution. You can use the study plan/learning agreement form of Åbo Akademi University; Erasmus students use the learning agreement of their home university.
2. An official transcript of records in English, with all the courses you have taken at your home university, with the credits and grades, from all your previous years of study.
3. A certificate of English proficiency. In the interest of a meaningful and useful study abroad experience, we require that incoming students, who are not native speakers of English, have a good knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken, so that they will be able to follow lectures, read English-language textbooks, participate in small-group coursework, and write their assignments and examinations without undue difficulty.
The required level of English language should be equivalent to at least one of the following:
- B2 in CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), verified by a certificate issued by the home university’s language center’s (or similar). OLS results can not be used.
- or a min. 78 points in TOEFL iBT (540 TOEFL PBT), 6.0 in IELTS, or at least 62 points in PTE Academic (Pearson’s Test of English). Test results must be submitted with the application.
Please note that the language test must be taken before the application deadline, and the certificate should not be older than two years.
4. A copy of your passport (or your European National identity card).
Provided that your application is approved, you will receive a letter of acceptance as an e-mail attachment from Åbo Akademi University within two weeks after the application deadline (remember to also check the spam folder). In case of any issues, we will contact the applicant.
If you are unable to accept your exchange period at Åbo Akademi University, please inform International affairs (email@example.com) in writing, as soon as possible.