About the programme
The ÅAU research mobility programme supports international research visits to and from Åbo Akademi University (ÅAU). The mobility programme supports scientific collaboration for ÅAUs profiling areas, strengthens internationalisation and enhances interdisciplinary academic collaboration. The programme enables scholars at ÅAU to undertake a period of research abroad, or provides an opportunity for high performing international scholars to visit ÅAU in order to pursue their research. The research can be within different fields and should show relevance for one of the strategic research profiles of ÅAU.
Please note that the currently available research mobility application is limited to the following:
- research mobility within the research profile Minority research (limited amount 2022)
- application open: 27.6-15.8.2022 (link to online application form available on bottom if the page)
Who can apply
Talented scholars on different academic levels may apply (Professors, Postdoctoral researchers, Teachers and doctoral candidates).
Applicants should conduct research that is relevant to our minority profile. The mobility programme supports mutually beneficial research visits, where the benefits for both the individual researcher and ÅAU are clearly stated.
Outgoing ÅAU-scholars should be employed/ or doctoral students on scholarships at ÅAU during the visit.
Incoming researchers from universities or research institutes abroad should be employed by, or receive other funding for their research from, their home university. Researchers already conducting research at, or already (partially or fully) employed by ÅAU, are not supported.
Mobility periods and financial support
The mobility programme supports research visits for one to six months. The specific dates of the visit must be agreed upon between each individual scholars and the hosting unit at the host university.
The mobility programme supports costs up to 1050 e/month (1500 e/month for scholars traveling with dependent children) and covers one economy-class round-trip ticket (for the researcher only, not dependents). Please read the below links for exact details.
Details for outgoing ÅAU-scholars
Details for ÅAU-scholars on scholarships
Details for incoming researchers
The financing from the ÅAU research mobility programme should be regarded as additional funding, meant for covering additional costs during the mobility period. We expect you to receive your salary, or other funding, from your home university also during your mobility period.
The application process
Before applying all applicants must have the support from the department of interest at ÅAU. Without this, the application will not be considered for the programme.
The application form is electronic and all attachments should be submitted in a single PDF file.
A complete application for both outgoing ÅAU scholars and visiting international scholars consists of:
Submitting the enclosures (in a single PDF document, max. 8 Mb):
- A cover letter addressing your interest in the mobility program and specifying your preferred term of stay.
- Academic CV
- A research plan (max three pages)
- A project abstract targeted to a general audience
- A letter of invitation from the host university (signed by the scientific contact person)
- A letter of support from a full professor at ÅAU.
- For ÅAU researchers on scholarships: A document proving that you have additional funding from a scholarship for your research during the time of the mobility and that does not end within six month of your return from the mobility.
Please note that we expect all applicants to have permission for the research visit from their head of subject or equivalent at their home university. The programme does not cover any costs for substituting the researcher at the home university during the mobility period.
Application and deadlines
Incoming Researcher to Åbo Akademi University: Research Mobility Program (deadline 15.8.2022 at 23.59)
Outgoing Researcher from Åbo Akademi University: Research Mobility Program (deadline 15.8.2022 at 23.59)
Processing of applications
The applicants are assessed after the deadline, 15.8.2022. The following criteria is taken into consideration when assessing the applicants:
- The applicant’s research and how it fits with the profiling area.
- The purpose of the research visit and its connection to the profiling area.
- How would the research visit benefit both the profiling activity at ÅAU and the individual researcher’s ongoing work?
- The applicant’s overall academic track record and qualifications.