Can’t find the book or article you need in our library?
Interlibrary loans is a service where the library can request books and articles from other libraries and make them available for you.
Request interlibrary loans and article copies
Material (books and articles) not available at the ÅAU Library in print or electronically, or at any other library in Turku or Vaasa, can be requested as an interlibrary loan from almost any other library in the world.
Before you make an interlibrary loan or article copy request:
- Check Melinda and Vaski or Vaasa City Library to see whether the material is available at another library in Turku or Vaasa.
- Make your request well in advance as delivery times vary a lot.
- Interlibrary loans are subject to a charge (see the price list).
- Article copies from the National Repository Library are free of charge for students and staff of Åbo Akademi University (Turku/Vaasa) and Novia (Turku).
Pick up your interlibrary loan
You’ll receive an e-mail message when your interlibrary loan/article copy is ready for pick-up at the Book Tower (Turku)/Academill Library (Vaasa) lending desk.
- The interlibrary loan fee is to be paid at pick-up.
- You will receive article copies as a print-out that you can keep.
- If the requested material is a readingroom loan the staff will keep it safe and you will have to retrieve and return it from the lending desk each time you want to use it.
- We can forward the material directly to your campus office if your deparment/subject is paying the interlibrary loan fee. Interlibrary loans are not sent to addresses outside of Åbo Akademi University campus.
The lending library defines the loan period and the loan conditions (e.g. in-house use only). The loan period is usually four weeks. The due date is printed on the ticket that is attached to the book. Interlibrary loans are not visible on your Alma user account. If you wish to renew your interlibrary loan, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the due date.
Return your interlibrary loan
Return your interlibrary loan at the Book Tower (Turku)/Academill Library (Vaasa) service desk. Please return the loan intact with the due date ticket/any other slips.
Free interlibrary loans for students
You’re entitled to free interlibrary loans when you’re writing your master’s thesis. Have your thesis supervisor sign the free interlibrary loans certificate and hand in at the Book Tower (Turku)/Academill Library (Vaasa) service desk. The thesis supervisor can also download the certificate, fill it in and send it via e-mail to email@example.com. Alternatively the thesis supervisor can also write a freely worded certificate/e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org containing the same information that would otherwise be provided through the ready made certifcate above.