Come and meet us!
- If you are employed by Åbo Akademi University
Make an appointment with your contact person at the Personnel Services for signing your employment contract. You will at the same time get an introduction to working at Åbo Akademi University and instructions on how to receive your IT user accounts etc. Also go and meet your contact person at the unit where you will be working.
- Visiting researchers/grant researchers
Contact your host professor and get your contract for non-employed persons signed. This contract states the terms for the researcher’s right to use rooms, other facilities and appliances at Åbo Akademi University. If you will be receiving a grant from Åbo Akademi University, you will also need to sing a grant agreement.
- Doctoral candidates
You should first enrol at Åbo Akademi University. Then arrange a meeting with your supervisor. If you will be receiving salary from Åbo Akademi University, make an appointment with your contact person at the Personnel Services (see the information for employees above). If you are not employed by Åbo Akademi University, but working on the University’s premises, you will need to sign a contract for non-employed persons (see visiting researchers/grant researchers above).
Take care of your EU registration
- If you are a citizen of the EU/EEA or Switzerland (except if you are a citizen of one of the Nordic countries) and your stay in Finland exceeds three months, you need to register your right of residence in Finland. Nordic citizens do not register with the Finnish Immigration Service, they only need to visit the Digital and Population Data Services Agency for Civil Registration (see below).
Visit the Local Register Office for Civil Registration
- Take an appointment and visit the Digital and Population Data Services Agency for taking care of the Civil Registration (Notification of Move and/or registration in the Population Information System).
- Note that you need to have registered your right of residence in Finland before you can make the Civil Registration (Residence Permit or EU Registration).
Visit the tax office
- Visit the tax office in order to get a tax card.
Open a bank account
- Salaries and grants from Åbo Akademi University are paid on directly on the recipients’ bank accounts. If you have a bank account in one of the European countries part of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), you do not necessarily need to open a bank account in Finland. If not, you will need to open a bank account.
Check your eligibility for Finnish Social Insurance
- The Social Security in Finland is either based on permanent residence or work. In other words, if your stay in Finland is considered to be permanent, or if you are working in Finland, you may be covered by Finnich social security. Please read more about Social Insurance and Health Care.