Those who visit our campus in Turku might notice that a new building is being constructed on Henrikinkatu 2, where the building Juslenia used to stand. Due to blastings that will continue until the end of January 2019, safety measures will be taken which restrict mobility in the area.
- The blasting starts on Monday 1 October 2018 (week 40). Estimated end date of the blasting is 31 January 2019.
- Blastings are carried out during the period mentioned above every weekday at 8:30–8:45 and 13:30–13:45. The time for blasting may be exceeded as a result of technical or external interference.
- Upcoming blasts will be notified with a quickening three-minute (3) long signal, which comes from the construction site.
- End of the blasting is notified with a continuous beep.
- As a precautionary measure in nearby buildings (Zoological Museum, Natura, Feeniks and residential buildings next to site), for your own safety, please move away from the immediate proximity of window when you hear the signal.
- Guards will close immediate surroundings of the construction site during blasts. During blasts all traffic is strictly forbidden in the immediacy of the site.
The new building is part of the Scientia Aboensis co-operation between Åbo Akademi University and the University of Turku. The main users of the new building will be the Faculty of Science and Engineering of Åbo Akademi University and the Department of Chemistry of the University of Turku. The new building will be completed in spring 2021 and put into operation the same autumn.
Video from the trial blasting: