Upcoming online (via Zoom) research seminar: The Global Refugee Crisis: Entrepreneurs as Agents of Recovery
You are warmly welcome to attend the upcoming online (via Zoom) research seminar “The Global Refugee Crisis: Entrepreneurs as Agents of Recovery”.
Time: 12.00-14.00 CET
How: To receive the Zoom link please register here: https://aboakademi.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5MpcuqvrD4jGNxSTxOTqqYMBlxnnlppIW15
We are delighted to welcome three speakers:
- Karolis Zibas, Integration Officer at UNHCR Representation for the Nordic and Baltic Countries. Karolis is leading UNHCR’s integration activities in the region by strengthening partnerships in various integration areas.
- Karen E. Fisher, Professor at the Information School, and Adjunct Professor in the Communication Department at the University of Washington. Design field ethnographer with UNHCR Jordan Zaatari
- Marianthe Stavridou, is a scientific collaborator of the University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland (HES-SO). She focuses on business ethics, UNSDG, the ESG and refugee entrepreneurship.
We look forward to an afternoon with interesting and inspiring presentations and discussions together with you! You can find more information about the seminar here.
Refugee Entrepreneurship Research Group
Despite historical refugee crises, the field of entrepreneurship is still very much in its infancy when it comes to understanding how, why and under which circumstances refugees engage in entrepreneurship. Today, at least 90 million people have been forcibly displaced worldwide, of which 32 million are refugees. With the difficult conditions that refugees are faced with, many are encouraged to be involved in different types of entrepreneurial activities for their livelihood. Understanding the operating conditions, circumstances, and specific contexts of entrepreneurship among refugees is a key issue in successful integration.
What we do
We are a multidisciplinary research group focusing on Refugee Entrepreneurship. Historically, there is an absence from comprehensive theory on refugee entrepreneurship and just a few research themes have reached the entrepreneurship conversation so far. Our aim is therefore to create new knowledge that will provide better opportunities for the refugee. Some of our research topics are:
- Incentives for entrepreneurship amongst refugees
- How the context – the refugee camp or host country – impact(s) on refugee entrepreneurship
- Nordic countries and refugee entrepreneurship
- Social mobility among refugees
- Residential segregation and labour market outcomes
- Labour market integration
- Refugees and education
- Perceived discrimination of refugees
- Entrepreneurship challenges among refugees
- Precarity, vulnerability and encounters of diversity in refugee entrepreneurship
- Methodological approaches to studying refugee entrepreneurship
- Storytelling and bricolage in refugee entrepreneurship
- Dis- and misinformation in the context of refugee entrepreneurship
- Female refugees and entrepreneurship
Phone: +358 (0) 400784771